Okay...three waffi chicks, my friend Jemie, Semilore's mom and myself decided to meet up to eat our beloved delicacy. So we gathered in my house oh, when I saw what was going down I quickly whipped out my camera...it was fun to film and we finished the pot of banga in one sitting. Banga soup is the easiest soup on earth to prepare.
|This banga spice was gooooood!|
- Wash palm nuts, and place in a pot with water to boil
- After 30 minutes it should be thoroughly cooked so drain the water
- Place the banga in a bowl/pot/mortar and pound gently to extract the juice OR knead with your hands
- When the skin is peeled from the nuts, add warm water and sieve out the juice.
- Repeat the process 2 more times to ensure you extract all the juice.
|sieving the extract|
- Place the extract from the palm nut or tin in a pot and bring to boil.
- Add banga spices (this spice brand we found was amazeballs!).
- Add periwinkle, smoked chicken, fresh catfish, salt, maggi, pepper...add everything and bring to boil.
- After about 20 minutes the soup should be cooked, thicker and with oil floating on top.
- Add a sprinkle of beletete leaves and allow cook for another 5 minutes...
|Four plates to be devoured|
|Bobo's Banga and Rice|
|I served mine in the native pot...it give a distinct flavour...yum yum yum!|