- Peel beans by washing in water then placing in a blender, add 2 cups of water and pulse for about 5 minutes. All of the skin should easily come off. Wash and drain till you get rid of most of the skin.
- Place peeled beans back in the blender, add 1 cup of water and blend till smooth.
- Pour in a bowl, then add chopped pepper, chopped onion, ground crayfish, salt. Combine properly.
- Heat oil in a deep pan for 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Scoop little portions of the bean batter into the hot oil. Make sure the pan is not crowded.
- Allow Akara for fry for 5 minutes on each side, then flip over when it is golden brown.
- Take the akara balls out of the oil and allow to drain before serving.
HOW TO MAKE AKARA!
food Thursday, July 7, 2016
Akara is a popular Nigerian food made from beans. The beans is peeled, washed, blended, mixed with a few spices and deep fried. Akara can also be called Bean Cakes\Bean Balls and in some parts of Brazil and other parts of West Africa it is called Acarajé. I know, I know...Akara does not need any introduction, but I have come to the realisation that Nigerians are not the only ones who check out my recipes, hence, the description.
2 cups peeled beans
2 habanero pepper (Ata rodo) – chopped
Half a bulb of Chopped Onion
1 tbs Ground Crayfish (Optional)
1 tsp Salt
300 ml Vegetable Oil
Posted by Sisi Yemmie at Thursday, July 07, 2016