5 THINGS NOT TO ASK /TELL A PREGNANT NIGERIAN WOMAN!
Momlife Thursday, July 9, 2015
Oh yes! Been there so I can tell the story-pregnancy was a very trying time for me emotionally and physically which is one of the reasons I didn't even want to show it on my blog. I felt like my body was not mine, messing anyhow and wondering how my nose and feet expanded beyond their capacities. On one of those days when I was feeling up to it, I managed to pack powder on my face, rub my rubywoo lipstick on my swollen lips and filmed this video you're about to watch. YES, you WILL watch it! LOL. Here are 5 things you should not ask/tell a pregnant Nigerian woman:
1. Are you pregnant? Belle nor dey hide-if the person doesn't come out to say it to you it is better not to ask. You really don't know their situation. Wait for them to tell you or when it is very obvious. It's not every time people don't talk about their pregnancy because of winches-sometimes they just don't want to.
2. You are so big/fat: It comes with the territory and the last thing a pregnant woman wants to hear from you is that she's fat. Pregnancy affects women emotionally, so give us a break. Don't be insensitive.
3. Yor nose is so huge: I got this one a lot-infact that was one of the first signs of pregnancy. The nose just kept getting bigger and bigger and people would not stop telling me-you think i did not see my face in the mirror before I left my house?
4. When is your due date? Nigerian women don't play like that. Due date ke? If you are not besties with a Nigerian woman, it is best to refrain from asking this question. It's a little bit intrusive. If she no tell you, nor take offence.
5. Are you having a boy/girl? People nor dey ask this question-we are not in oyinbo man land. In Nigeria this question is not normal and if you ask they might give you the kind of answer you don't like. If the answer you get is "We have not checked if it's a boy or girl" take that as a cue that it's not your business!
Posted by Sisi Yemmie at Thursday, July 09, 2015