- The first symptoms include a fever, headache and sore throat.
- Within days as the Ebola virus attacks the immune system, chronic abdominal pain, muscle aches, vomiting and diarrhoea take hold.
- The virus pierces blood vessels causing bleeding from the eyes, ears, mouth and other orifices.
- The whites of the eyes turn red and blood blisters form under the skin.
- Ebola is highly-infectious and has a death rate of up to 90 per cent.
- So far, 672 lives have been lost to the disease during this outbreak.
- The virus has spread from Guinea to Sierra Leone and Liberia
- And on Friday the first victim was declared dead in Nigeria
- There is no cure for the disease, nor a vaccine to prevent infection.